Mercury deposits in this place was opened in 1842. Mine start to works active only at the end of World War II. Aktash village was founded specifically for workers in these mines.
It was one km long tunnel for trucks near Aktash. The walls, floor and ceiling were decorated with wooden, tunnel was lit by lanterns.
Until 2004, these mines were the only Russian producer of metallic mercury. It was suspended шn 2004, the mines are currently not working.
© Olga Saliy. All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior written permission of author.